Couples Counselling (also known as 'Relationship counselling' or 'marriage counselling') is a great way of resolving issues within your intimate relationship.
Why is Couples Counselling Useful
- Healthy and happy relationships that support the dreams and well-being of all individuals don’t just happen, they are made.
- Our relationships are often the most important things in our lives. When they’re going well, it makes us feel happy and content of feeling connected to another human being on the deepest level.
- However, when we go through difficult times, our relationship can cause a great deal of hurt.
How I can help with Couples Counselling
- Couples counselling is for individuals and couples who need to make changes in their present situation.
- Difficulties in relationships can be caused by conflict, difficulty with understanding or expressing feelings, sexual problems, past trauma in relationships or a range of other factors.
- You can talk things over with me about many things including about your relationships past, present, or future, how your family is affected by your relationship, how you can improve your relationship, how you can manage a separation constructively, or how you can get over a breakup.
- Couples counselling provides a safe confidential space for couples in a non-judgemental setting.
- Each Partner in the relationship is respected and accepted as I believe that the relationship of every couple is completely unique.
People come to couples counselling for a variety of reasons, including:
- Conflict and power struggles
- Extramarital affairs
- Considering marriage
- Considering separation/divorce
- Lack of emotional satisfaction
- Lack of trust and intimacy
- Concerns specific to the individual couple.
- I also work with individuals who struggle with relationships.
- What happens during your couples counselling session?
Where do you start if you are considering Couples Counselling?
The first session is mainly about working out what the main issues are and what you both want for your relationship.
You will find that I am fair and balanced. Able to mediate calmly.
I expect a level of respect during the sessions and won’t tolerate verbal abuse of any kind.
You will also be provided with worksheets that will guide you through the sessions.
In the meantime, there are some useful web pages and books you could read.
Please note that the following books are an affiliate link. What that means is that whatever you purchase through this link, I receive a small commission. It does not cost you any extra but it helps me to continue to provide free information.
The Reach Approach: THE ESSENTIAL PRINCIPLES FOR A SUCCESSFUL RELATIONSHIP
This is not a definitive list. It does, however, itemise the majority of those principles required for a healthy and successful relationship.
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country’s Foremost Relationship Expert, Revised and Updated Audible Logo Audible Audiobook – Unabridged John M. Gottman PhD (Author)
How to Be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving Audible Logo Audible Audiobook – Unabridged
The Attachment Theory Workbook: Powerful Tools to Promote Understanding, Increase Stability, and Build Lasting Relationships (p. 24). Althea Press. Kindle Edition. Chen LMFT, Annie.
The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts (p. 108). Moody Publishers. Kindle Edition. Chapman, Gary D