Recovery Potential Survey
Healing the Child Within describes how our inner child is lost to trauma and loss, and how by recovering it, we can heal the fear, confusion, and unhappiness we may experience as an adult.
….While not easy to determine whether you lean toward being more healthy or less healthy in relationships with self and others, you may find it helpful to answer some of the following questions.
I call it the “Recovery Potential Survey” because it reflects not only our woundedness, but also the potential that we have to grow and to realise an alive, adventurous, and happy life.
- Do you seek approval and affirmation?
- do you fail to recognise your accomplishments?
- Do you fear criticism?
- do you overextend yourself?
- have you had problems with your own compulsive behaviour?
- do you have a need for perfection?
- are you on easy when your life is going smoothly?
- do you feel more alive in the midst of a crisis?
- do you care for others easily, yet find it difficult to care for yourself?
- do you isolate yourself from other people?
- do you respond with anxiety to authority figures and angry people?
- do you feel that individuals and society, in general, are taking advantage of you?
- do you have trouble with intimate relationships?
- do you attract and seek people who tend to be compulsive?
- do you cling to relationships because you are afraid of being alone?
- do you often mistrust your own feelings and feelings expressed by others?
- do you find it difficult to express your emotions?
if you answered occasionally often all usually to end of these questions you may find it useful to continue reading.
18. Other questions to consider are:
- do you fear any of the following:
- losing control?
- your own feelings?
- conflict and criticisms?
- been rejected or abandoned?
- Being a failure
- Is it difficult for you to relax and if they have fun?
- Do you find yourself compulsively eating working drinking using drugs or seeking excitement?
- Have you tried counselling or psychotherapy yet still find that something is wrong or missing?
- Do you frequently feel numb empty or sad?
- Is it hard for you to trust others?
- Do you have an overdeveloped sense of responsibility?
- Do you feel a lack of fulfilment in life both personally and in your work?
- Do you have feelings of guilt inadequacy or low self-esteem?
- Do you have a tendency toward having chronic fatigue aches and pain?
- Do you find it is difficult to visit your parents for more than a few minutes or a few hours?
- Are you uncertain about how to respond when people ask for your feelings?
- Have you ever wondered if you might have been mistreated abused or neglected as a child?
- Do you have difficulty asking for what you want from others?
If you answered occasionally often well usually to the end of these questions this book may be helpful.
If you answered mostly never you may not be aware of some of your feelings.
It would also be useful to write in your journal how you found this survey. How did it make you feel when you were doing it? Did it mention anything you were surprised and not aware of?
Most of all, what do you want to do now with that this survey has highlighted the issues you have?
What to do next
Remember, this is my speciality and I provide therapy for people like you who have experienced this kind of trauma. My job would be to support you on your healing journey. You can read how I do this by reading more about me here.